Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Joys of Reading

It is amazing that in a little over a year we have progressed from this to reading words! Rylee has truly taken off and is reading books, t-shirts, food boxes, signage around town, etc. You name it, she is reading it! I am amazed as I have worked a little with her, but not nearly as much as you would think with the way she has taken off. If she doesn't get the word the first time, she is able to immediately take the word and rework the sounds. She is also taking the context of the sentence to figure out the word if she is unsure. Those are not skills that I have taught her - great problem solver!! Just like teaching her to ride her bike, tie her shoes, and swing, I gave her the very basics and she has taken it upon herself to go for it!! I have no idea what they are going to do with her in kindergarten, but I pray that they will be prepared to challenge her within the classroom and recognize that I will need to continue to challenge her at home!!

As a result of Rylee's interest and ability to read, Ryan has also shown a great interest. I have pulled out some basic readers for him (3 letter words, sight words, etc) and so far he has been able to read them immediately with very little guidance. If he continues on in this manner, I hope the teachers will be prepared to challenge him come fall!

Well, no entry is complete without a little corresponding story... Mike realized this past weekend the extent of Rylee's reading abilities. He came home from a trip into town and shared with me his experience while driving with Rylee through town... While driving down one of the main by-passes, Rylee said in her KY twang "What is Hoooo-ters?" Mike told responded with "A restaurant." Rylee continued the conversation by asking "Have you ever eaten there?" Mike told her no. She then asked "Has Mommy ever eaten there?" Mike told her he doesn't think so. She then told Mike "I don't think Ryan has eaten there then either!" Now, every time we drive by, Rylee points out Ho*ters and reminds Ryan that it is a restaurant. Ryan corrects her and tells her it is the "Owl Restaurant". Aaah... The joys of my little readers! Oh, and "NO!" we will not be taking them there - So not ready for those conversations! ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment