As always, Rylee has caught us off guard. Today while out to lunch with Mike she asked "Why was I born here (points to one part of the table) and Ryan born here (points to another area on the table) in China?" The fact that the two points that she pointed to are fairly precise if a map had been on the table pretty much blew us away after we caught our breath from the question! Oh my...I am so not ready to talk about this, but I know that I need to answer her questions as they come and be as open, honest, and matter-of-fact as I can be. Since she is looking at me, I am the one expected to respond so, I stumble around a bit while holding back a few tears...Finally, I tell her that they were born in two different places in China. She questions a little bit more so, one of us (can't remember who) had to say these words: "You were in another mommy's tummy and we came to get you." Talk about opening up another can of worms. She, of course, then wanted to know how she got out. Mike in all his wisdom says to Rylee "Hey, Rylee...How's that chicken?"How is that for redirection?!? She responds "Good!" and the conversation continues on about her meal. I know that this conversation is not over as she is going to ponder it at some point and have some more questions. It is just the when and where it will come up again that will be the mystery! Sometimes I just wish I could skirt the issue, but I know that if she is asking about it then it is important to her...I sometimes think that if we are matter of the fact about the topic when she is young that she will be more secure about it as she grows older...I wonder how much information is appropriate at this age...
Oh, this parenting stuff is hard some days!!
Oh, this parenting stuff is hard some days!!




Reading this made me remember that when the kids were little we always told them, 'A mommy and daddy love each other SO much that that a baby grows inside of the mommy.' Always worked...until one day as Cliff left to go running Janelle looked at me (with Megan and Justin sitting right there) and said, 'You know Mommy, you always said...*see above*...and there's a lady we know that is having a baby that isn't married. How'd THAT happen?'. One question led to another...
ReplyDeleteSo my dear...all you can do is exactly what you're doing...answer the questions honestly when the come up and wait to see what else she'll ask!!!
I will be coming to you for advice on this, I am sure. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete