Sunday, March 29, 2009

M.I.T Moments

Morgan is now at that age where he can be taught new skills and responsibilities - not just any skills, but life skills. Those "Man In Training" skills (aka M.I.T Moments). He is no where ready to do these things by himself, but he is ready to see how these things are done and to help his dad. Mike has been wonderful about recognizing those opportunities where Morgan can help and running with them. In the last 9 months, Morgan has learned how to change the oil in the car, rotated tires on the van, and assisted in many "fix it "projects. Mike has been great about having Morgan be an integral part of the learning process and doesn't just have him sit there and watch. After they are done, you can see the look of accomplishment on Morgan's face. I must say that this is an area that I need to work on... Often times, I am in such a hurry and shoo everyone away so that I can focus on the task and get it done. It is just plain "easier" that way. Unfortunately, the "easy" way is not teaching them anything constructive. Today's M.I.T. Moment = rotating the tires.

No comments:

Post a Comment