Wooo hooo...Summer has finally arrived. Today was our first day and we hardly knew what to do with ourselves and just hung out most of the day without an agenda. After lunch, I had the kids come up with a list of things they wanted to do this summer. Once an idea was thrown out, at least 2 of 3 had to want to do the activity in order for it to make the list. I must say that Rylee's desire to learn how to use chopsticks threw me for a loop, but it made the list. So, I will be giving chopstick lessons! Since we did not finish last year's 50 States in 50 Days theme, we will continue on with that. I guess that I should change it to 50 states in 415 Days! ;o) We have added a new little twist on the summer break for Morgan this year. He had to find something he wanted to practice or learn how to do and must do it for 30 minutes, five times a week. Together, we brainstormed a ton of ideas from pitching to running and from photography to drawing and a ton of things in between. He ultimately chose to learn to type. I was a little shocked, but know it is a skill he will use for a long time to come! Today was his first lesson and the word "frustration" is the best word to describe the atmosphere during that 30 minutes. Our goal in this summer long exercise is to get him to practice something and to learn something on his own. Things have come fairly easy to him during school and we want him to learn persistence, perseverance, etc. So, that is partly what will happen in our home this summer along with the renovation project, Ryan's weekly speech therapy sessions, swim lessons, VBS, church camp for Morgan, birthdays, etc. Short and sweet is what our summer will be as the kids return to school in 8 short weeks (August 11th).Friday, June 11, 2010
Summer 2010
Wooo hooo...Summer has finally arrived. Today was our first day and we hardly knew what to do with ourselves and just hung out most of the day without an agenda. After lunch, I had the kids come up with a list of things they wanted to do this summer. Once an idea was thrown out, at least 2 of 3 had to want to do the activity in order for it to make the list. I must say that Rylee's desire to learn how to use chopsticks threw me for a loop, but it made the list. So, I will be giving chopstick lessons! Since we did not finish last year's 50 States in 50 Days theme, we will continue on with that. I guess that I should change it to 50 states in 415 Days! ;o) We have added a new little twist on the summer break for Morgan this year. He had to find something he wanted to practice or learn how to do and must do it for 30 minutes, five times a week. Together, we brainstormed a ton of ideas from pitching to running and from photography to drawing and a ton of things in between. He ultimately chose to learn to type. I was a little shocked, but know it is a skill he will use for a long time to come! Today was his first lesson and the word "frustration" is the best word to describe the atmosphere during that 30 minutes. Our goal in this summer long exercise is to get him to practice something and to learn something on his own. Things have come fairly easy to him during school and we want him to learn persistence, perseverance, etc. So, that is partly what will happen in our home this summer along with the renovation project, Ryan's weekly speech therapy sessions, swim lessons, VBS, church camp for Morgan, birthdays, etc. Short and sweet is what our summer will be as the kids return to school in 8 short weeks (August 11th).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





What a great mom you are!!!
ReplyDelete