There is a class being held over at one of my favorite scrapbooking sites called "Red Letter Days". What is a Red Letter Day? In earlier times, calendars were marked in red for religious feasts, holy days, etc. to distinguish them from ordinary days. Today, the term refers to any particular day of significance. I believe starting next month I am going to integrate Red Letter Days into our calendar. Two summers ago, we did this with our "Out of the Box" theme and Morgan absolutely loved it! We will celebrate those little holidays that are not recognized on a general calendar, but are significant enough to have their own day. You know, things such as January 31st - Backwards Day and January 19th - National Popcorn Day! I, too, am excited about this as it will give me an opportunity to use these things as a springboard for my scrapbooking and to document some things that I might not otherwise document. As a challenge and an example, the owner of the site asked people on her blog to recall their memories of popcorn. Hmmm...popcorn. The first thing that came to my mind was President Newberry from Howard Payne University (the university Mike worked at before moving here). Dr. Newberry use to have a blue light outside his back door of his university home. When the light was on, students knew that he was popping popcorn and they were invited over. How cool is that! Every perspective student that visited the university under his presidency left with a cool bag of popcorn. I also recalled my little kindergartners popping all over the classroom when we played the Popcorn song and studied corn during the month of November. Finally, I recalled the Jiffy popcorn in the aluminum pan that we would have when we went camping as kids. Who knew that so many things would come to mind with the Red Letter Day challenge "popcorn". That is my goal and I know the kids will love, love, love it...They love to celebrate and celebrating the little things in life is something I would like to instill in them! Red Letter Days coming to this blog beginning in February.
Side note: Here is a great site that lists some of these Red Letter Days
Side note: Here is a great site that lists some of these Red Letter Days




No comments:
Post a Comment