Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Life Lessons

I decided to create a new label for the blog and am going to title it "Sketchbook for Life". I want to emphasize certain life lessons for our kids as I encounter them...Yesterday was one of those days. Our power was out and the electric co-op happens to be down the street from my parents. So, on one of my several drives past, I decided to stop in just to see if they could tell me anything. Just as I walk in the girl gives me a funny look and I give her one back - I know she is trying to assess my mood to see if I am going to be one of "those" customers. I kind of joke around with her and ask to see what she can tell me regarding a timeline for getting our lines fixed. She goes on to tell me that our street is not on the work orders for the day and that there is no one even assigned near our area for the day. I tell her - Not a problem. I realize you all are overwhelmed and I just happened to be in the area (or something along those lines). I continue to say that I hope that she has not had to deal with too many irrate customers and proceed to joke about moving to different areas of the country while adding what natural disasters accompany those areas. Next thing I know, the other office worker, says "Ma'am...come on over here..." She proceeds to ask my information again and takes it back to the back door and outside the building. She then comes back and says so-and-so is going to send out (another name) to your area. So, what is my point? If you treat all people with respect, kindness, and sincerity, you will go farther in life. If I had gone in with a bad attitude, the customer service rep. would have immediately shut me out. Not only would I have made her day worse, but I would not have been leading a life of integrity nor displaying Godly character. You may be wondering - did our power come on? Yes, it did... But, whether or not it came back on last night is not the point of this whole story - Respect, kindness, and love - that is the point!

1 comment:

  1. So true! I have a little quote on my board at work that goes something like this "It is good to be smart but it is better to be nice to people it will get you much further in life" Not to mention it makes it a much more pleasant ride for all those involved! ~ Andrea

    ReplyDelete