Friday, August 28, 2009

The People's Car

We have not spoken much about one member of our household in quite awhile... Let's just say it has been a sore subject. But, I am thrilled to announce that Herbie is still with us and that this week his tires hit the road.
Step #1: Get the poor fella running! CHECK!
Earlier this week, Ryan was sitting in the garage on a stool that he had pulled over next to Herbie stroking him with a weed. I believe he was talking to him, too. I wish I had gotten a picture of the moment. It was sweet and pathetic all at the same time.

Today, we took Herbie over to the man that is going to give him a full body makeover. Mike is like a little kid and is now counting the days until he is done. The man estimated about a month. He will do the painting, install seat belts in the back, replace the rubber trims, do some welding, etc.
Step #2: Body work. IN PROGRESS

Step #3: Get cat smell out of the car - Previous owner stored Herbie in his barn. MATERIALS ACQUIRED

Step #4: Take excited kids out for a spin. EXCITED KIDS CHECK!

It will take some time to get the inside cleaned up, but that is a mere technicality at this point.

The "before" pictures with "after" pictures to come :






1 comment:

  1. Heh. Small world. The Boss's first car was a '68 Beetle. And he's been longing for the time and the money and the space to buy another one and completely restore it from the ground up. I'm the hold out, as I keep looking at our calender, checkbook, schedules, and LIFE saying, "When will you have time for THAT?!" Maybe by the time the older two boys are driving and able to help. 'Course, by then, we likely will have added another little one to The Gang . . . :)

    ReplyDelete