Last year, Ryan's teacher at school asked us during his parent/teacher conference whether or not it would be okay to limit his food at breakfast. We were a bit puzzled as he is not a big eater. She proceeded to tell us that he really loves Thursdays because they have biscuits. She then explained that she knew he was a child that was well fed, but was hesitant to put a limit on his intake. After finding out that he was eating 3-4 southern style biscuits in addition to the other food served on Thursdays, we encouraged her to cut him off at 3. So, that is the way it was. Ryan got 3 biscuits on Thursday mornings. To this day (even though he has not been in school for approximately 3 months), if the topic of school or Ms. Jill comes up he will go into this long story about how he eats 3 (fingers up and everything) biscuits at school. It is a little "Rain Man'ish". So, it has been a running joke for months and months!!
Well, the other day I took the kids to Cr*ck** B**rel for lunch and 3 or 4 of us decided to order breakfast. Rylee chose to have the chicken dumplings which she had never had because Kung Fu Panda loves dumplings. Ryan ordered a pancake and Morgan ordered his usual blueberry pancakes. I ordered one of the country breakfasts on the menu. Well, before I could get everyone settled, Ryan had scoffed down his huge pancake and Rylee was picking through the dumplings (which by the way we now know she does not like) for the chicken. Ryan then began checking out my meal. My meal came with grits and biscuits and gravy that I had no idea came with my breakfast and had absolutely no desire to eat - I have not totally submitted to southern living... So, I asked him if he wanted my grits and he downed the grits in no time. UGH! Then, he asked for a biscuit. I gave the biscuit to him and in true "Give A Mouse A Cookie" fashion, he requested the gravy. I gave it to him and wondered if he knew what to do with it. He yanked the bowl away from me and began dipping his big ole' biscuit into the bowl. Guess he was eating the biscuits at school with gravy... Who knew!! So, after another bisquit I cut the poor lil' fella off as we had no more biscuits. The waitress and I had a great laugh as every time she walked by he was finishing off something. Oh how I wish I had recorded his feeding frenzy!
I have since gone to the store and stocked up on some country gravy for biscuits - It is in a can, but hey it's gravy and this Mommy has no idea how to make gravy - Believe me, he is better off with it in a can! He has since had biscuits and gravy for breakfast and enjoyed every single morsel!! Here's to our little southerner - Now if I could only get him to eat okra with me!!







Darcy, Even I can make gravy! As soon as school starts I'm giving you a lesson......
ReplyDeleteCute! Wait till he hits teen years - my two oldest are killing me, with all the swimming and yard work they've been doing. It's worse than a growth spurt cuz it's lasted all summer :)
ReplyDelete