What state has the only public diamond mine in the world and also the only diamond mine in the United States? Umm... That would be Arkansas! We talked about the Hope diamond, Y**Tub*d the Hope Diamond at the Smithsonian, made pictures with our wooden shaped blocks (see picture of Ryan's crown), created our own crystals with a rock candy recipe, and had a diamond shape search throughout the house. A little something for each child!
Maine was another state that we learned about last week. We read "Beacons of Light" by Gail Gibbons, talked about the purpose of lighthouses, and then we made our own lighthouse using a water bottle, paint, tape, play dough, and a flashlight. This activity was on familyfun.com and I must admit that theirs looked a whole lot nicer than ours! The kids are still playing with them this week so, I guess it was a hit! Oh, and we also read a poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow - "There was a little girl with a little curl..." Then, I had each of the kids draw a picture of the little girl.
Maine was another state that we learned about last week. We read "Beacons of Light" by Gail Gibbons, talked about the purpose of lighthouses, and then we made our own lighthouse using a water bottle, paint, tape, play dough, and a flashlight. This activity was on familyfun.com and I must admit that theirs looked a whole lot nicer than ours! The kids are still playing with them this week so, I guess it was a hit! Oh, and we also read a poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow - "There was a little girl with a little curl..." Then, I had each of the kids draw a picture of the little girl.




No comments:
Post a Comment