On Thursday, we drove up the western side of Iowa and allllll the way across South Dakota!! We don't know exactly what Ryan is expecting...Yesterday, he asked if he could go outside and play when we got home - Interpretation: "When am I going home?" His other question was "When are we at the beach?" Not sure where he got the idea that we were going to the beach - wishful thinking, maybe? On our way through to Rapid City, we stopped at the Corn Palace. The Corn Palace is decorated on the outside entirely by corn, parts of corn, and other grains grown in South Dakota. They change the theme every year and I must say they must have known that we were coming. Two thumbs up, Corn Palace, on the "America's Destinations" theme! Next, we stopped at Wall Drug. When in South Dakota, you must stop! Okay, it is a tourist trap, but it is a famous one. So, we stopped and walked around for a few minutes and took a few photos. Wall Drug is known for having signs all over the world saying "___ miles to Wall Drug". Oh, and the little ones were fascinated with something they had never seen before - A TELEPHONE BOOTH!
After arriving in Rapid City, we headed up to Mount Rushmore for what would be one of many trips up there...It has been a bit nostalgic to be here as I lived outside of Rapid City when I was in 5th - 7th grade (I think) when Dad was stationed at Ellsworth AFB. In general, I don't remember a whole lot about our time here. But, when we headed to the Black Hills I could smell the forest and it brought back many memories of camping and fishing with my family. Hey, Cindy...the trees still smell like strawberry and vanilla - I sniffed a tree trunk for you! ;o)
The kids enjoyed Mount Rushmore! If you have never been, it is an amazing sight! Rylee just about has the the president's names down and when she forgets George Washington's name she asks "Who is that that has hair like mine?" Ryan wants to know "Why the mans no talk?" Aaah...There's nothing like taking in Mount Rushmore with our kids!
Today, we went to Mount Rushmore again (at least once - hate to admit how many times...Let's just say that it was there that we realized that we had left our memory card for our camera at the hotel) and then we rode the 1880 train through the Black Hills. Ryan LOVED it!! He sat next to the window and hung out looking down at the wheels moving along the track for an hour. On the way back (another hour) he fell asleep in Mike's lap. We will be moving on to our next destination tomorrow. I wonder what we will happen upon!






No comments:
Post a Comment